Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Is it wrong?.......

..to be eager to get back into my classroom after only 2 weeks of summer vacay??? If you're like me, you have a hard time staying out of your classroom in the summer because you're so eager to revamp, invent, or try something new all together!! I never find myself fully satisfied with how I do things in my classroom- always in a constant cycle of shaking it up a bit in a great way!! Because I use very few, if any worksheets in my classroom, I'm always finding new ways of accomplishing a particular goal for  my students or myself. It's always easier to find a worksheet for something, much like finding an app for just about anything on your smartphone or iPad, but doesn't always mean it serves really any purpose other than wasting time.
     I feel a sense of accomplishment this week as I have obsessed over researching for the new Common Core Curriculum. Turns out what I've been doing in regards to facilitating our reading block follows the Daily 5 approach to literacy from "The Sisters!" Who knew??? If you're like me, you've found it rather frustrating to figure out what the heck you're doing those first few years of teaching. A lot of praying, late nights sitting in your classroom & running to your car in a dark parking lot,  and a lot of following the lead of others in hopes they know what they're doing. Always feeling like there's a better, easier, more effective way of doing things has FINALLY got me going somewhere I feel like I'm supposed to be! Less following poor leadership and more leading my students in a way I feel is more authentic, quality, & effective methods of instruction. If you haven't ever head of the Daily 5 or CAFE, I strongly encourage you to head on over to http://www.the2sisters.com/the_daily_5.html & check it out!! Work SMARTER not HARDER!

No comments:

Post a Comment